Friday, February 1, 2013

Darlene


Congratulations Ken and Darlene! I'm a little behind posting this, but here it is. I was so happy to do Darlene’s cake and Ken’s grooms cake. I love you both.

I'm afraid my camera wouldn't take a good picture of it from the front, as you can see below, but the side view shows it better. It's almost the tallest cake I've ever done. I couldn't fit it in my car so thank you to Jason and Amman for being my drivers for this adventure.

The bride wanted a few different flavors. The top and seconded layers are red velvet cake with cream cheese icing for filling. The 3ed layer is chocolate with a chocolate mousse filling. The 4th layer is a key lime cake with key lime curd and Italian butter cream for filling, yum. That was a new recipe for me and one of my new favorites. The whole cake is covered with Italian butter cream and fondant over each layer. Each layer is accented with sliver sugar lace. The florist at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building did a wonderful job placing the flowers. (I would trust there them with any of my cakes.  The florist did such a wonderful job. She may not see this post but thank you anyway.)



I almost forgot, the bottom layer was actually fake. There was enough cake with the other layers so to create height and not more cake we added a fake layer.
(A little hint for my students: I covered the fake layers with royal icing before i cover it with fondant so it would create the same look as the other layers. It helps the fondant stick as well. Royal icing also cleans off the fake layers cleanly and easily with hot water. That will keep your fake layers nice and ready to use for your next cake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment